Creamy Vegan Garlic Mashed Potatoes
A vegan thanksgiving staple that is sure to win your friends and families hearts this holiday
These delightfully creamy garlic vegan mashed potatoes are the ultimate comfort food and ultimate side for any winning thanksgiving table and are sure to become a family tradition. With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I wanted to share these two recipes I’ve come up with, that fit in perfectly for this Holiday.
These mashed potatoes are so rich, fluffy, creamy and not to mention…garlicky. The garlic adds a buttery and savory element to the mashed potatoes that is hard to beat.
The first is my mashed potatoes, they are definitely a Thanksgiving staple in our home. Since becoming vegan, I was completely unsure of how to make them. I wasn’t crazy about the idea of adding loads of vegan butter; I also didn’t find plant based milk to be flavorful enough. So I felt a great replacement for cream and butter would be broth and a cheesy cashew cream.
These mashed potatoes are so rich, fluffy, creamy and not to mention…garlicky. The garlic adds a buttery and savory element to the mashed potatoes that is hard to beat. The cheesy cashew cream, creates the fluffy creamy texture as well. It will be hard not to have these linger on your table for long, especially in the company of dear friends and family.
My family found this to be such a welcomed change; we actually prefer this to dairy based mashed potatoes hands down! I hope you will enjoy this recipe as much as we have.
My second recipe to share with you is the veganized version of the classic Green Bean Casserole, in a plant-based version. It tastes so identical to the real thing, you won’t even notice the difference. You can find the ‘Vegan String Bean Casserole’ here!
- 4 2/3 cups of russet potatoes
- 1 cup of veggie broth
- ½ cup of raw cashews
- ¼ cup of nutritional yeast
- 3 cloves of garlic, sautéed
- 1-2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A dollop of vegan butter (optional)
- Peel and cut your potatoes into chunks.
- In a large pot, boil until potatoes are soft and easily pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add your cashews, nutritional yeast, ¾ cup of the veggie broth and sautéed garlic into a high speed blender, blend until completely smooth.
- Drain the potatoes and put into a mixing bowl.
- Using a stand mixer (or hand mixer), blend the potatoes on low, adding in your veggie broth/cashew mix and seasonings until completely incorporated.
- Next you can add in the remaining veggie broth (plus more if you so choose!) if you want a creamier end result or just omit, this part is personal preference.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, top with your butter and serve while hot.
Hi, I’m Krystine! I love creating easy and delicious plant based recipes. Cooking is my passion and I love sharing it with the World.