We all have those cravings. When all you can think of is a warm, fluffy stack of pancakes. Then the next step is actually making them. If you’re on the gluten and dairy-free bandwagon like me, finding a pancake recipe that holds together and comes out fluffy is seemingly impossible.
UNTIL, these bad boys! I’ve done all the hard work of taste testing batches of rubbery, clumpy, gluten free pancakes, so take my word that this recipe is The One.
And best of all, they’re gluten free, dairy free, egg free AND only have six ingredients!
But it gets better….caramel sauce really makes these special and extra decadent. This caramel sauce is vegan yet of so rich. Be sure to top with vegan whipped cream for extra oomph as well. They will surprise and delight the most cynical of vegan pancake eaters.
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed flakes (+ 6 tablespoons warm water)
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 130ml coconut cream
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- In a small bowl place the flaxseed and pour warm water on top. Let this sit for 10 minutes while the dry ingredients are prepared. Flaxseed mixture should have an egg-like consistency after 10 mins
- Combine almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder and a dash of sea salt in a large bowl
- Once all mixed in, stir in the applesauce, vanilla extract and flaxseed*
- Heat a small amount of coconut oil/nut butter in a pan over medium heat and dollop a spoonful of batter in the pan
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on either side, remembering not to flatten with the spatula
- Continue with remaining batter. This should make 5-6 pancakes!
- Serve up on a plate with your favorate toppings and proceed to devour
- Add all ingredients in a saucepan on high heat.
- Bring to the boil while whisking, then reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Allow to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring every now and then. The sugar should be dissolved by now!
- Once it's reached the desired consistency, let it sit to cool.
- Drizzle on top of a pancake stake with soy ice cream scoops.
- I usually let it sit to cool to room temp or eat warm😍, otherwise pop it in the fridge until needed!
Hi! My name is Zoe, 23-year-old Melbourne-based foodie about to start my 4-year journey studying a Bachelor of Health Science (Chinese Medicine). I’m passionate about all things food, animal (loving), travel, and spirituality.
In early 2016 it became clear that my diet wasn’t flowing with my beliefs anymore, and that’s when I decided to change it up. It was quite surprising to see my health change in such a short amount of time, from an increase in energy to feeling happier (plus more)! The health changes alone were enough to sway me, and then I saw a number of documentaries highlighting the impacts and cruelty of the animal agriculture industry, and it became clear that not only was a diet change the way to go, but an overall lifestyle change as well!
Zoe’s Kitchen Creations is just a small snippet of how I hope to inspire people that they can make a difference just by starting in their kitchen. It is possible to create healthy, vegan dishes that are both tasty and can build towards a sustainable environment. It’s a win win 😉
You can follow my foodie journey via @zoeskitchencreations